Being a teacher is one of the most rewarding careers available. Our program prepares you for a journey of lifelong learning that you can instill in those you'll be educating. We focus on content knowledge, content proficiency, strategies, communication skills and analytical skills.
Our department offers the Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies, where you can choose your own area of concentration based on your interests and your strengths:
- EC-6 Generalist
- 4-8 English, Language Arts & Reading
- 4-8 Math
- 4-8 Math/Science
- 4-8 Composite Science
- 4-8 Social Studies
- 4-8 Generalist
- EC-12 Special Education
- EC-12 Music Ed
- EC-12 ASL
- EC-12 Art
- EC-12 Spanish
- EC-12 Kinesiology
- EC-12 Family and Consumer Sciences
- To teach in secondary education requires a degree in the appropriate discipline. For degree certification requirements and degree plans, contact the major department, such as Math, English or History, etc.
We also offer the online Master of Education in Teacher Leadership program that is flexible and attainable in just 18 months. Our program teaches you how to design effective curriculum, implement your techniques and how to continuously motivate your own students at any grade level. Our goal is to create superior leaders with solid leadership and educational skills in their chosen fields.
Be a part of something great:
- The Initial Teacher Preparation Programs is fully accredited by NCATE through 2020 (Undergraduate and Post Baccalaureate).
- NCATE examiners identified Field Experience (undergraduate) as “an area of strength”
- The elementary teacher preparation program is Nationally Recognized by the Association for Children’s Education, International (ACEI) for 7 years.
What kind of opportunities are available for me?
Texas has more than enough room for great educators:
- More than 1,200 school districts
- More than 9,200 school campuses